Monday, September 18, 2006

Life and Death... all in a day!

September 17th will be remembered for joy and sorrow. It was my good friend, Frederick's 34th birthday. It has been 4 years we're together as close pals. Every year we would celebrate it with a small dinner affair with a few close friends. Yesterday, I was one of the few but close good friends that came over to celebrate his birthday with him and his new beau. It was an unusual feeling.

The dinner was wonderful and they cooked up a gourmet feast. Chris and I bought a cheese cake which he liked very much and it was a wonderful moment. I'm glad I'm a part of that.

At the same time, the late afternoon, we received bad tidings that one of our good friend, Michael Yang died in a freak car accident. I've known Michael for 6 years as we were gym mates. He and his partner were travelling to Kluang to visit his mother, the accident happened in the afternoon and his car turned turtle and he was hurled out of his seat. He suffered internal bleeding and he died in the hospital.

In one day, I was able to see Life and Death whizzing by in a flash. I celebrated a friend's birthday and I also mourn the loss of another. Indeed life is very fragile and precious. We should treasure each and every moment of our life and appreciate all the things we have. This is a real wake up call for me to cherish and appreciate all that I love. Truly humbled by this.

All things are Impermanent, All things are subjected to change. So it is with Life. There is birth and death. Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the mind. Maha Saddhu!

I'll end this blog with a prayer, one for the birthday boy and one for the departed friend.

Om Mani Padme Hum! Tadyatha OM! Bekandze Bekanze Maha Bekanze Raze Samugate Soha!
May my good friend, Frederick Loi be well and happy. May he be blessed with peace and long life. May his wishes be fulfilled. May all abundance of blessing be upon him. May he be free from mental suffering and sickness. May the Light of Buddhas shine upon him and bath him with wisdom and compassion. Om Tare Tut tare Tore Svaha!

Om Ah Hum. Om Amrta Teje Hara Hum!
May Michael Yang be free from his suffering and be free from the bondage of Karma. May my good friend be free from his karmic suffering! May he break free from the bondage of anger, delusion and desire. May Amitabha great compassionate father of limitless life and light shine your light upon my friend and guide him to your Pure land so he will be save from the 3 evil ways and ensure his enlightenment! May his spirit rest in peace

OM MANI PADME HUM! may all sentient beings be well and happy!

No comments: