Friday, November 24, 2006

The spirit of keeping precepts

Being a Buddhist, I'm encouraged, based on my free will; to observe the 5 precepts or 8 precepts over a certain period of time. The previous experience I had observing the precepts was last August at the Dong Zen Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Monastery in Jenjarom, Klang. It so happens the 8 precepts in honour of Medicine Buddha. The precepts were taken for one day from Saturday night until Sunday night. This year, I observed the 8 precepts again in honour of Guan Shi Yin Bodhisattva on his anniversary recently, Nov 10th (Lunar Calender: 9th Month, 19th Day)

What are the 8 precepts? The basic 5 precepts includes
1. Not taking any form of life by force or with intention (No Killing)
2. Not taking what is not rightfully yours (No Stealing)
3. Not participating in unwholesome sexual activity (No sexual misconduct)
4. Not making any unwholesome speech (No lying, no idle and harsh speech)
5. Not partaking intoxicants or substance that endanger the body (no drugs, no liquor, no cigarettes, )

6. Not partaking food at certain hours (no food taken after 12 noon)
7. No participation in any form of entertainment (no TV, no music, no singing nor dancing)
8. Not using high pillows or bed and not using ornaments and perfumes to adorn one's self
(In other words, sleeping on the floor or with a thin mattress, showering without using
body gel, soup, toothpaste, etc)

Why did I take these precepts for one day? Let's just say that I did it not for myself, I did for a lot of other reasons. I did it for my parents, they're undergoing a stressful period in their relationship. I did for my friends, I hope all their wishes and their aspirations will be achieved. I did for my community, I believe living in KL is very stressful and draining. I hope conditions will be better next year for all of us. But the most important and powerful force that driven me to observe these precepts is my thought of benefiting others. I don't have that much money and I know my limited resources I could only help a handful of people. Therefore, I chose to take the 8 precepts to benefit others. The experience of observing the 8 precepts is indescribable. You just have to take it to experience it yourself.

Throughout the day, while observing noble silence, My mind was peaceful and filled with compassion. I was able to see how the mind worked and how unstable it can be, It is always thinking, never resting, always wondering this and that, always wanting this and that. This is the nature of the mind. How do you put it to rest? I did a lot of meditation, chanting and reflection that day. I also discovered a lot about myself, the real ME. Is there a real 'I'? Hmmm... let you ponder on that.

I realised that life is full of lessons that we can learn and use to adapt in this ever changing world and the challenges that it will give us daily. For those who would like to investigate further on the 5 and 8 precepts? You can check out more at Buddhist web sites.

No comments: