Friday, August 17, 2007

Ullambana... time to repent, pay debts and be filial...

The month of Ullambana for a me is a special month... It is also a month of constant reality check on myself, What have I done wrong? Whom I have cause hurt and grief, through body, speech and mind actions. Every morning, I make a confession on wrong deeds I have done the previous day and atone for my mistakes. It is also a time for me to mindful at all times to make sure I do not repeat the same mistakes I made yesterday.

It is also a time for all monks and nuns in all Buddhist traditions to check with themselves what progress they have made in their cultivation, their errors committed and to seek forgiveness and repentance for their erred actions. It is encouraged by Sakyamuni Buddha to always seek repentance for mistakes done, to be mindful at all times and to do what is right, avoid what is not right and purify your mind so that the defiled mind can be transformed into the pure bright mind it originally was.

If all good Buddhists would take this special month to observe their precepts as pure as they can, take an hour off their daily schedule to meditate, chant sutras, perform merits and virtues, and dedicate their merits to all sentient beings, such auspicious karmic actions is wonderful. Use the month of Ullambana to be mindful, to bring auspiciousness, joy, reassurance and courage to those who need these qualities, Be compassionate as Avalokiteshvara, Be as brave as Ksitigarbha, Conduct yourself like Samanthabhadra, Be as wise as Manjushri. Everyday, we remind ourselves to have qualities like these great bodhisattvas so we can transform not only ourselves but others whom we have affinity with us.

No comments: